Sheriff Joel Brott was born and raised in St. Cloud, Minnesota, and graduated from Apollo High School in 1990. He knew he wanted to work in public service so he attended Alexandria Technical College and earned a degree in Law Enforcement in 1992. He started his career in southwestern Minnesota where he worked as a police officer and the Chief of Police.
In 1996, he began working for the Sherburne County Sheriff's Office where he held the positions of Patrol Deputy, Investigator, Investigative Sergeant, Captain of Investigation, before becoming Sheriff. Sherburne County has been a wonderful place to work and he is very proud to be a member of this community.
In 2007, Sheriff Brott graduated from the National FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia. Sheriff Brott holds several professional memberships, including:
- Elk River Chamber Commerce
- Minnesota Chiefs of Police
- Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association
- Minnesota Sheriffs' Association
- National Sheriffs' Association
- Zimmerman Chamber of Commerce
His community involvement includes, but is not by any means limited to:
- Central Minnesota Mental Health Center Board
- Clear Lake Lions
- Elk River Rotary
- Sherburne County Substance Use Prevention Coalition
- TRIAD / SALT
Sheriff Brott embodies the Sheriff Office's mission statement of a "Commitment to Service with Integrity and Pride."