Septic Permits

How to Get a Permit

Contact a state-licensed septic system designer to determine the appropriate system type, size, and location for your property. A designer will provide you with a design that works best for your property. You will need to hire an installer and then submit the design for approval by the Zoning Office along with the appropriate fee.

After You Get a Permit

At this point, the responsibility generally shifts to the septic system installer. It is required that the installer contact the Zoning Office for inspections at least 24 hours ahead of time. Some systems may have multiple inspections. Once the final inspection is approved, a certificate of installation will be issued.

Replacing a Pump

A permit is not needed in Sherburne County for septic system maintenance such as pump replacement, manhole lid replacement, pipe repair, and filter cleaning/replacement. If you are unsure, please call the Zoning Office and we will gladly answer your questions.

Replacing a Holding Tank

A permit is required to replace a holding tank. Additionally, a Holding Tank Pumping Contract is required.