Financial Help

Financial Assistance Programs For Upgrading Failing Residential Septic Systems

Sherburne County has two financial assistance programs to help residential homeowners upgrade failing septic systems.

Both programs require a certificate of non-compliance by an MPCA licensed septic system professional to verify that the septic system is not working properly.

Low-Income Septic Upgrade Grant Program (All Grant Funds Have Been Spent/Allocated at this time)

Sherburne County has received funding from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency to provide grants to help homeowners that qualify as low-income and their system has been found to be failing. To qualify, you must have a single family home and the property must be homesteaded. Grants may be awarded for up to 33% of the cost of the system for those who qualify (up to maximum amount of grant award of $5,000). The landowner must provide 2 years (of IRS 1040 Income Tax Returns) for all occupants of the home that are over 18 years of age.

To qualify for the grant, a household of one to four persons making up to $75,500 could qualify for the grant.  If additional members of household please contact the Planning & Zoning Office.  If interested, Low Income Fillable Grant Application .

Replacing Failing Septic Grant Program

The Sherburne County Planning and Zoning Department has a limited amount of funding available that will be awarded on a first come, first serve basis for low-income households to upgrade their failing SSTS.  Funding for this project was provided by the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund as recommended by the Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources (LCCMR).  This grant may be obtained to cover up to 33% of the estimated cost of the system, or a maximum of $5,000.  If interested, Replacing Failing Septic Grant Application

Low Interest Septic System Replacement Loan Program

The County also offers a low-interest loan program for owners of a single family residential home where the system is found to be failing. It is funded by the Department of Agriculture as part of a program to improve water quality in rural areas. This loan is not based on income and the only qualifying criteria are that the homeowner is current on property taxes and their mortgage payments (if a mortgage exists).

The loans are for a 5 to 10 year term.  The interest is based on the cumulative average percentage increase as set forth in the Consumer Price Index Midwest for all items (CPI-U Midwest), as published in the Bureau of Labor Statistics for the immediate current year.  The loan is issued with the homeowners consent to a lien being placed on the property by the County. Once the failing septic system has either been repaired or replaced, all eligible expenses are paid to the contractor and then those costs are collected as an assessment on the homeowner's property tax until the loan is repaid. Check out the Loan Application Details and Process Form

Small Business Subsurface Sewage Treatment System (SSTS): Low Interest Loan Program  

The County now offers a low-interest loan program for owners of small businesses where their septic systems are found failing.  Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems (SSTS) owners interested in the program must complete the loan application form and return it to the Sherburne County Planning & Zoning Department.

Sherburne County Government Center
CC: Planning and Zoning
13880 Business Center Dr NW 
Elk River, Mn 55330

Small Businesses must meet all the following criteria to be eligible for a SSTS low interest loan:

  • The business must be located in Sherburne County.
  • The business must be registered with the Minnesota Secretary of State and not debarred by the State of Minnesota.
  • The business must not have more than fifty (50) full-time and/or part-time employees.
  • The business generates less than $1,000,000 in average annual revenues from all sources.
  • The business has no current tax liens on record with the Minnesota Secretary of State and all required licenses and permits are in good standing.       

Check out the Loan Application Details and Process Form  for more information on additional requirements and the loan details.

Note, that if you live in an incorporated city or Becker Township, you will need to show proof that you have received a septic permit from your city or Becker Township.