Military Discharge Records

Veterans Must Show Interest in Records

Discharge papers are considered private data pursuant to Minnesota Statute 196.08. You will need to fill out a form showing tangible interest before a copy of the military discharge can be released.

Importance of Copies

After an individual separates from military service, they receive a DD 214 (military separation form.) The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form to ensure easy availability of a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed. Upon recording of Discharge Paper the office will furnish free certified copies to filer.

Lost / Misplaced Copies

As a courtesy to military personnel, the Recorder does not charge for the recording of the DD 214 forms. If you have lost or misplaced your military separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your DD 214 form in our office, you need to contact your local branch of the Veteran's Administration for assistance. Our office only has records of DD 214 forms that have been submitted to us for recording by the veterans themselves.