Registration / Become a Notary Public
Registering your Notary is done in the Vital Records Office.
To become a Notary Public in Minnesota you must apply to the Office of the Secretary of State.
Record Your Notary Commission
Once your new commission, reappointment, renewal or name change has been approved by the Secretary of State and you have received your commission certificate, you must record your commission with your resident county. County contact information for your county of residence is included in the instructions. The fee for recording your commission at the county is $20.
Apply Via Mail
- Send Notary Commission card from Office of the Secretary of State.
- Check or money order should be made payable to Sherburne County Recorder for $20.
- Include both a signature that exactly matches the name appearing on the notary commission, as well as a signature in the style normally used to sign. Both signatures need to be notarized on a white, 8.5-inches by 11-inch sheet of paper.
Apply In Person
When you register with the county, please bring:
- Notary Commission card from the Office of the Secretary of State.
- $20 fee (cash, check, credit card or money order accepted)
The same application can be used to change your name on your Notary Commission. The new card would need to be registered with the same county in Minnesota in which you originally registered.