Permit to Purchase
Download a Permit to Purchase application (PDF).
Minnesota law requires a Permit to Purchase in order to obtain a handgun through the following methods from another person:
- Other Delivery
- Residents within the city limits of Becker, Big Lake, Elk River, and St. Cloud must apply for a Permit to Purchase at their respective police department.
- All other residents of Sherburne County must apply for a Permit to Purchase at the Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office.
State law requires law enforcement agencies to conduct a series of background-related checks to ensure the eligibility requirements established in state law are met.
Timeline & No Fees
A Permit to Purchase card or a denial letter will be mailed within seven days. Permits to Purchase are valid for one year. There is no fee.
Apply for a Permit
Permit applications (PDF) will be accepted in person at the Sheriff’s Office, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays; or via mail and email. Applications MUST include a legible front and back copy of your MN state ID.
- Complete the state application. All areas of the application must be filled in completely, signed and dated on the date presented. Falsified applications will be reviewed for possible criminal prosecution.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or legal alien. Applicants must have a current Minnesota driver’s license or Minnesota ID card.
- You must be 21 years or older under federal law to acquire handguns from licensed dealers.
- You must not be a fugitive.
- You must not be the subject of a restraining order.
- You must not meet any exclusion for permit criteria.