Licensing Process

You’ve decided to open a day care business in your home, so what do you do next?  The Minnesota Department of Human Services has created a handbook to help guide you through the process.  In order to get licensed in Sherburne County, you must do the following:

  1. Complete Online Orientation 1 and 2
    1. Online Orientation 1 (PDF)
      Once you finish reading Online Orientation 1, you will receive application materials and a PDF of Online Orientation 2
  2. Obtain training. Prior to becoming licensed for family child care, you will need to show proof of the following training:
    • Abusive Head Trauma
    • CARS, if transporting children under age nine
    • Developmentally Appropriate Behavior Guidance
    • First Aid (no online First Aid training is permitted)
    • Infant / Child CPR (American Red Cross or American Heart Association - no online CPR training is permitted)
    • Sudden Unexpected Infant Death
    • Supervising for Safety for Family Child Care
    • To register for these trainings, please go to Develop Tool Minnesota Website. For directions on how to use the Develop website, please see our Education and Training page
  3. Complete and return Application materials
    These will be explained in detail at the orientation session, and include:
    • Application
    • Initial Licensing Evaluation
    • Fact Sheet
    • Background Study Data Collection Form with proof of ID for all adult and teen household members and staff
    • Licensing inspection fee of $50 made payable to Sherburne County HHS (this can be a personal check that you submit with your application, or you can pay via telephone at 1-877-690-3729 using jurisdiction code #3307, or you can pay online .
    • Your Privacy Rights form
  4. Make changes to meet requirements set forth by the Day Care Rule
    In some instances, you will need to make some adjustments to your home, but for the most part, you will only need to check and update safety measures and purchase equipment. You may need to put smoke detectors on all levels of your home, have a fire extinguisher in cooking areas, unload and store firearms and ammunition in a separately locked, inaccessible area, keep knives and sharp objects as well as poisons and medications in inaccessible areas, and have a first aid kit, among other things. You will also need to provide appropriate equipment for children in your care, such as toys, places to nap, outdoor equipment, etc. Toys and equipment may be new, used, commercial, or homemade as long as they are appropriate for the ages of the children and activities for which they will be used. Equipment must also be safe, in good repair, and lead-free. A safety/sanitation checklist will be provided at orientation.
  5. Have a physical exam
    An adult caregiver shall be physically able to care for children. The applicant shall supply documentation to the agency with the license application that the applicant has had a physical examination from a licensed physician within 12 months prior to initial licensure and is physically able to care for children. The applicant shall supply documentation to the agency with the license application that all adult caregivers who are assisting with care on a regular basis (more than 30 days) have had a physical examination from a licensed physician within 12 months prior to employment. Forms to document this will be supplied at orientation.
  6. Maintain pets
    All household pets housed within the residence shall be maintained in good health* and limited to dogs, cats, fish, guinea pigs, gerbils, rabbits, hamsters, rats, and mice. Birds who are clear of chlamydia psittaci are also acceptable.
    *Dogs and cats have current rabies shots.
  7. Fire Marshal Code Inspection
    In some cases, a Fire Marshal will need to inspect your home prior to the licensor coming out. Please note that there is a $50 fee for this inspection. Visit the Minnesota State Fire Marshall website.
  8. Call to request a licensing home visit
    Once the necessary paperwork has been submitted to Sherburne County, you have received your background study clearance letter, you have completed all pre-service training, and you feel your house will meet licensing requirements, you must contact the licensor yourself to schedule a home visit. The licensor will inspect your house, review your application for licensing, and discuss any relevant issues or concerns.