Chemical Health/Substance Abuse Disorders


Beginning in the late 1980’s, the Rule 25 Assessment process was the only method for eligible individuals to access publicly funded Substance Use Disorder (SUD) treatment services in Minnesota.  In October of 2020, the Minnesota Department of Human Services implemented a parallel process during which a person could access publicly funded assessment and treatment services through the traditional Rule 25 process or directly through a treatment provider of their choice via Direct Access.  As of July 1, 2022, Rule 25 Assessments are no longer available and Direct Access is the only process by which publicly funded SUD treatment services can be accessed in Minnesota.  Direct Access promotes client choice for a Comprehensive Assessment and SUD treatment services through access to the right level of service, at the right time and in the right setting.

Assessing Behavioral Health Fund (BHF) for Treatment Coverage

You, or a representative who can speak on your behalf, can request services by completing and submitting the HHS Service Request Form or by calling the Sherburne County Intake Line at 763-765-4000 and choosing option 4.  Professionals can also make referrals through one of these two options.

You will be required to complete an application and submit required verifications of residency and income.  Criteria used to determine Behavioral Health Fund eligibility for SUD Comprehensive Assessments and treatment services include:

  • The individual is a current resident of Sherburne County or Sherburne County has been determined to be the county of financial responsibility, and
  • The individual does not have health insurance coverage or has partial health insurance coverage for SUD treatment services, and
  • The individual meets the Minnesota guidelines for income and household size for accessing available Behavioral Health Funds.

Once approved for coverage through the Behavioral Health Fund, you can go directly to any SUD assessment and treatment provider that is enrolled with Minnesota Health Care Programs to receive a Comprehensive Assessment and/or receive SUD treatment services. 

If you have Medical Assistance or health care coverage through a State funded Managed Care Organization (MCO), you already have coverage for Substance Use Disorder Services and do not need to apply for treatment coverage through the Behavioral Health Fund.  For those with a State funded MCO, call member services through your MCO to identify treatment providers that are contracted through the MCO.   For those with Medical Assistance without an MCO, you can go directly to any SUD assessment and treatment provider that is enrolled with Minnesota Health Care Programs.