For building permit applications click on "Permit Requirements & Applications" on the left.
Applications for new homes, additions, basement finishes, decks, pole buildings, garages, pools, etc., will take at least 10 working days to process. We will call you as soon as the permit is ready to pick up.
A building permit is required for:
- A new structure
- Altering or enlarging a structure
- Finishing a basement
- Replacing or installing a gas fireplace, furnace, or water heater
- Replacing or installing any gas appliance that requires a new gas line
- Re-roofing a building
- Re-siding a building
- Retaining walls over four feet in height
- All retaining walls built within the Shoreland Impact Zone
- In-ground swimming pools
- Above ground pools containing over 5,000 gallons of water and more than 24 inches deep
- Window replacement, garage door replacements
The following work is exempt from a permit (other permits may be needed if within a shoreland district or near a wetland):
- One story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
- Fences not over 7 feet high.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement story below.
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one-family dwelling.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Decks and platforms not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not attached to a structure with frost footings.