For building permit applications click on "Permit Requirements" on the left.
A building permit is required for:
- A new structure
- Altering or enlarging a structure
- Finishing a basement
- Replacing or installing a gas fireplace, furnace, or water heater
- Replacing or installing any gas appliance that requires a new gas line
- Re-roofing a building
- Re-siding a building
- Retaining walls over four feet in height
- All retaining walls built within the Shoreland Impact Zone
- In-ground swimming pools
- Above ground pools containing over 5,000 gallons of water and more than 24 inches deep
- Window replacement, garage door replacements
The following work is exempt from a permit (other permits may be needed if within a shoreland district or near a wetland):
- One story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
- Fences not over 7 feet high.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement story below.
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one-family dwelling.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Decks and platforms not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not attached to a structure with frost footings.