Veterans Preference

Points are awarded to applicants based on the provisions of Minnesota Statute 43A.11. You must supply an unaltered copy of your DD214 showing years of service and type of discharge.


  • You must be a United States citizen or a resident alien
  • You have separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the armed forces for the United States
  • You have service on active duty for 181 consecutive dates or by reason of disability incurred while on active duty, or for a full period ordered to active duty, or have separated by reason of disability incurred while service on active duty.
  • You are the spouse of a deceased or disabled veteran

Disabled Veteran

Disabled veterans must also supply official documentation or an equivalent letter from a service retirement board.


Spouses applying for preference points must supply their marriage certificate, the veteran's DD214 (this must show years of service and type of discharge) and FL21-802 or death certificate.

Documentation must be received by the close date of the posting in order to be considered. You may attach your DD214 documentation to the application. You may also fax this documentation to 763-765-3002, send via email or mail to our office.

Veteran's preference points are included in the score if:

  • The veteran's preference section of the employment application is completed
  • The applicant meets the minimum qualifications
  • The supporting documentation is provided
  • The claim for preference is approved