Sherburne County Driver’s License office is open for Appointments Only
Please read below before you apply
Book one appointment per person
Please come prepared. Below are some reminders and information that will be helpful for you when you arrive and to reduce time and confusion.
- Don’t rush to an office right away if you don’t need to.
- We are reserving the first month of appointments for customers with expired licenses or for those that will be expired in the next month.
- Early renewals to upgrade to a Minnesota REAL ID or enhanced driver’s license or ID card should not be done at this time. The REAL ID deadline is extended to Oct. 1, 2021.
- DVS offers a number of online services. Visit drive.mn.gov to find out if you can complete your transaction online before you visit offices.
- If your license expired during the peacetime emergency, you have until two months after the month the peacetime emergency ends to renew.
DPS-DVS will automatically extend the expiration to Feb. 28, 2021, for any driver’s license, ID card or permit that would have expired between March 13, 2020 and Jan. 31, 2021. Anyone with credentials expiring Feb. 1, 2021 or later will need to renew on time, despite any extension of the COVID-19 peacetime emergency, unless DVS is granted legislative authority to extend those expiration dates.
Minnesotans will not receive a new credential, but their record will reflect the new expiration date.
Come prepared for your appointment
- For all Drivers License Appointments you need to fill out an application ahead of time. We will try to call you before your appointment to answer any questions you may have. Remember, if you apply for a REAL or Enhanced ID/DL you will need to bring in specific documents. Please review the MN Department of Vehicle Services site for more information. (Help me choose which license is right for me)
- Please wear a mask & bring your own blue or black pen to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- We accept all forms of payment: Cash, Check or Credit Card (with 2.5% fee)
- If you are changing your name you must change with the Social Security office before you can change your license. You will still need to bring in your original name change documents with you on the day you apply.
Bring the correct documentation
Required Documents for:
Travel Concerns: Which license or credential is right for me?
Booking Help and What to Expect When You arrive:
Show up for your appointment no earlier than 10 mins before and check in at Door A. You will be greeted at the door, and you must confirm you have an appointment. Please reschedule or cancel with as much notice as possible. Cancelling ahead of time allows us to open that appointment to another person who needs it.
Click on the links below for more information on the service or the required forms.
Drivers License- Real - Enhanced- Standard (Help me Choose)
Disability Parking Permits/Certificates
CDL Medical Certification (can upload online here)
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is extending the REAL ID full enforcement deadline to Oct. 1, 2021.
The deadline was originally set for Oct 1, 2020, but is being delayed by one year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Real ID: Be ready by October 2021: Watch Video Here
You will be able to use your standard license or ID card for federal purposes, including boarding domestic flights, until Oct. 1, 2021.
A valid Passport is already Real Id compliant and can be used for both domestic and International travel.
The License Center handles driver licenses and state identification cards. Driver licensing includes:
- Driver licenses
- Identification cards
- Instruction permits
- Driver’s License or ID Duplicate/Replacement
- Real ID
- Enhanced Driver’s License or Identification Card
View the Identification Requirements (PDF) as published by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.
Services Not Available
- Reinstatement Fee acceptance
Available Locations (PDF)
- Written Knowledge and Behind the Wheel Tests or Licensing for New or Returning Minnesota Residents
Exam Station Locations (PDF)
- Motor Vehicle Licenses and License Tabs:
Department of Motor Vehicles
600 Railroad Drive
Elk River, MN 55030
Call 763-441-2110 for further information.
The Auditor/Treasurer department issues County Liquor Licenses through the Minnesota Liquor Control Commission and also issues Transient Merchant Licenses and Precious Metals Licenses.