If you disagree with or have questions about your estimated market value or classification, you can appeal it:

  1. Collect any information you have to show why you believe your estimated market value or classification is incorrect, such as recent appraisal of your property, recent sales of similar properties, etc. Contact the Sherburne County Assessor’s Department to review this information and discuss how your market value was determined.
  2. Attend the annual Local Boards of Appeal and Equalization identified on your Notice of Valuation and Classification. Come prepared to present the information you collected regarding your value and / or classification. If you have further questions please contact your city or township for more information.

More information on Appealing Property Value and Classification can be found on the MN Dept of Revenue website.

Appeal Meeting Dates 2023

All meetings are at the city or township hall unless specified.

Baldwin Township
Tuesday April 113 p.m.
City of Becker
Thursday April 136 p.m.
Becker Township
Tuesday April 116 p.m.
City of Big Lake ***
Friday April 78 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Big Lake Township
Thursday April 139 a.m.
Blue Hill Township
Tuesday April 186 p.m.
City of Clear Lake
Wednesday April 196 p.m.
Clear Lake Township
Wednesday April 210 a.m.
City of Elk River
Monday April 106 p.m.
Haven Township 
Thursday April 131 p.m.
Livonia Township
Monday April 246 p.m.
Orrock Township
Wednesday April 124 p.m.
Palmer Township
Tuesday April 189 a.m.
City of Princeton ***
Friday April 78 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Santiago Township
Monday April 109 a.m.
City of Zimmerman
Monday April 179 a.m.
***held at the Sherburne County Government Center

Further Action

If you are not satisfied with the action taken at the Local Board of Appeal and Equalization, then you may appear before the County Board of Appeal and Equalization at the Sherburne County Government Center.

You must first make an appointment with the Sherburne County Auditor / Treasurer’s Department. They can be reached at 763-765-4351 or toll free at 800-438-0576.

County Board of Appeal and Equalization meeting for 2023

  • Tuesday June 13 3:00 p.m.
    appointments* begin at 3 p.m. and extend to 7 p.m.
    *appointments are required

Petitioning Minnesota Tax Court

You may directly petition to the Minnesota Tax Court. Tax Petitions may be filed after you receive your valuation and classification notice on or before April 30 of the year the taxes are payable. For more information, visit their website or call 651-296-2806.