Private Party Transfers

Under Minnesota law, handgun transfers involve any sale, gift, loan, assignment or other delivery to another person. If you possess a valid Minnesota permit to carry a handgun, that permit constitutes a permit to purchase. You don't need to apply for a separate permit to purchase.

Use the Private Party Transfer Form when transferring a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon between two private parties without a federal firearms dealer. Both parties of the transaction must retain this record for 10 years. Reference MN State Statute 624.7134.

All firearm transfers to someone outside of the state of Minnesota must go through a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer. More information regarding out of state transfers can be found at the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) website.