Filing Credentials of License or Ordination

We are open by appointment ONLY.

Appointment Booking

For an ordained person (both Minnesota residents and non-residents) to be authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in Minnesota, the person must be at least 21 years old and must file their credentials of license or ordination with a Minnesota county. Once this is done marriages may be performed anywhere in the State of Minnesota. 

In Person by Appointment Only

Bring the following items:
  • Complete a Certificate of Filing form  Certificate of Filing
  • Provide a copy of your credential of license or ordination
  • Proof of Identification
  • Pay the $20.00 filing fee (we take any form of payment)

By Mail

  • Submit a completed and notarized Certificate of filing form 
  • A copy of your credential license or ordination 
  • Filing Fee $20.00 (check or money order)
  • Mail to Sherburne County Recorder

  • For information on an unauthorized person performing ceremony, see Minnesota Statute 517.15                                                                                                   
  • For information on state requirements on civil marriages, see Minnesota Statute 517.04.                                                                                                                 
  • For information on ministerial credentials, see Minnesota Statute 517.05.