Permit to Carry Class
Registration for the Permit to Carry Class is a TWO step process:
Fees for Class
Non-Refundable Deposit to be paid at time of registration:
- $10.00 for full-time County employee, or
- $20.00 for all other participants
Remaining Registration Fee after Deposit to be paid at the class (Only cash or check accepted at time of class):
- $0.00 for full-time County employee
- $30.00 for Veterans who have been honorably discharged
- $50.00 for all other participants
- Full payment can be made at the time of the non-refundable deposit if you choose.
Participants will be instructed in:
- Minnesota statutes governing permits to carry
- Storage and transportation laws
- Handgun basics, including handling and shooting
- Types of ammunition
- Handgun safety
- Less-lethal options
- Use of deadly force scenarios
Participants will spend time in a classroom setting and in the shooting range for the live fire qualification.
What will participants need to take this class?
- Participants must be 21 years of age or older.
- Legally able to obtain a handgun permit to acquire/carry per MSS § 624.714.
- You must not be a fugitive from justice.
- Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system.
- Physical ability to complete course requirements.
- Must have a gun with factory ammo, not personal reloads.
- The Sheriff's Office does NOT have guns to rent.
Upon completion of your MN Permit to Carry Class, you will have received the required training to award you a certificate (good for 1 year) to take to your local Sheriff’s Office.
The class is carefully taught in a safe manner by a qualified instructor.
Sherburne County Sheriff Office
Range and Training Center
13880 Business Center Drive
Elk River, MN 55330