Building Permits - Permit Requirements

Applications can be downloaded or are available at the Zoning Office

(NOTE: We accept cash or check only.)

Addition, Alteration or Accessory Permits including Pools require:
(for Pools also see Definitions and Regulations )

  • Completed application
    last update: April 10th, 2017
  • Two sets of Building plans
  • Site plan showing setbacks and location of existing buildings, septic system and well
  • Septic System Compliance Certificate if the septic system is more than 10 years old
  • When Sherburne County cannot verify that the setback is met, a survey by a licensed surveyor may be required at the applicant's expense
Land Use Permits for Becker Township require: Land Use Permits for Signs require: Roofing, Siding, Garage Door, Gas Mechanical, Fireplace and Windows permits require:

New Home Permits require:

  • Completed application
    last update: April 10th, 2017
  • Two sets of Building Plans
  • House staking certificate by a registered land surveyor
  • Septic System design including setbacks to all property lines
  • One soil boring taken at house site - low floor to be minimum 1 foot above mottling
  • Energy code compliance certificate
  • Road access permit if driveway entrance is onto a County Road or in Baldwin, Blue Hill, Clear Lake, Livonia or Santiago Township

Septic Permits require:

  • Completed application
    last update: May 4th, 2017
  • Complete Sewage Treatment System Design by Licensed Designer

Demolition/Razing Permits require:

Please remember: incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.

Zoning Admin Contact:

Sherburne County Govt Center
ATTN: Zoning Administration
13880 Business Center Dr NW
Suite 100
Elk River, MN 55330-4668

Office Location & Hours

Phone: 763-765-4450
Fax: 763-765-4467
Contact Sherburne County with your questions, comments and feedback