Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I get into the VA Healthcare System?
  2. How do I get my prescription medications from the VA?
  3. How do I arrange for transportation to the VA Medical Center for my appointments?
  4. How do I get the VA to pay me for my disabilities?
  5. How do I get a copy of my discharge papers?
  6. How do I apply for a VA Home Loan Guarantee?
  7. How do I apply for VA burial benefits?
  8. How do I apply for VA death benefits?
  9. How do I obtain Veteran's Preference Points for employment?
  10. How do I know what education benefits are available?
  11. How do I obtain replacement medals?

How do I get into the VA Healthcare System?

You must submit a completed VA Form 10-10EZ and a copy of your honorable discharge (DD 214 or equivalent) to the VA Medical Center Eligibility Office. They will determine your eligibility, priority group, and co-pays (if applicable). See your County Veterans Service Office for assistance in completing the form. There are separate healthcare programs for active duty personnel, retired, and dependents of veterans who are totally and permanently disabled.

For more information see our section on Medical Benefits and the Department of Veterans Affairs eligibility requirements for enrollment in VA's Health Care System.

Return to top

Get my Prescription Medications from the VA?

You must be enrolled in the VA healthcare system and be followed by a VA healthcare provider who prescribes your medication that may be obtained from a VA pharmacy. Co-pays may apply.

For more information see our section on Medical Benefits and the Department of Veterans Affairs eligibility requirements for enrollment in VA's Health Care System.

Return to top

Arrange for transportation to the VA for my medical appointments?

Sherburne County provides transportation to the VA Medical Center in Minneapolis and St. Cloud for veterans who are unable to transport themselves. Please refer to the guidelines and schedule for specific information.

Return to top

Get the VA to pay me for my disabilities?

VA Compensation Benefits may be paid to an eligible veteran who has a disabling physical or mental condition which was incurred or aggravated during military service. Pension Benefits are paid to veterans who have a non-service connected disabling (post service) which has been or can be diagnosed as permanent and total in nature, preventing gainful employment. Income & asset levels apply. You should contact your CVSO for an interview to determine eligibility and for assistance in applying or these benefits.

For more information see our section on disabilities and the Veterans Benefits Administration.

Return to top

Get a copy of my discharge papers?

Your discharge (DD214 or equivalent) is a very important document, because your eligibility for all VA benefits is determined by it. There are a number of sources from which you may be able to get certified copies or photo-copies your discharge papers. Our veterans service office will assist you.

You may submit electronic requests for discharge papers from National Archives.

Return to top

Apply for a VA Home Loan Guarantee?

Bring your discharge papers (DD Form 214) to your County Veterans Service Office. They will complete a form and send it in to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) office to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility. You will present the Certificate of Eligibility to your lender when applying for a home loan. It is important to compare rates, fees and programs offered by your lender.

For more information see our section on VA Home Loan Guarantees and the Dept of Veterans Affairs Home Loan Guarantee Services.

Return to top

Apply for VA Burial Benefits?

Your DD214 (Discharge Paper) is the key document that determines your eligibility for burial benefits. It is important to secure this document and make sure your family is able to locate it. Burial benefits provide for an allowance that may be authorized for the reimbursement of the funeral and burial expenses of an eligible veteran and limited benefits for a spouse. The following allowances fall under this category: burial or cremation allowance, plot or internment allowance, transportation of remains, burial in a national or state cemetery, memorial plots, headstones & markers, United States Flag, Presidential Memorial Certificates.

There are many factors or criteria that determine what burial allowances you may qualify for, so it is imperative that you contact your veterans' service officer for guidance and application of these benefits. We also work closely with local funeral homes and cemeteries. We strongly recommend that you find out about your VA burial benefits and options before committing to a pre-paid funeral package.

Return to top

Apply for VA Death Benefits?

There are multiple sub-categories that fall under the umbrella of Death benefits. Each program has its own specific criteria and are summarized here. Some of the programs are:

Death Gratuity: lump sum when a service member dies while on active duty.
More information... - FAQs

Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP): a monthly annuity paid to the spouse or dependent of a retired military service member who has elected this option and paid into the program.
More information...

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC): a monthly benefit paid to a spouse, children, or parents, if the proximate cause of death is due to a service connected disability.
More information...

Widows Pension: a monthly benefit payable to a spouse of a wartime deceased veteran. Income & asset limits apply.
More information...

Veterans Final Expenses: unreimbursed expenses from the veterans last illness & burial. Special provisions apply.

Veterans Administration Life Insurance/Servicemen's & Veterans Group Life Insurance: there are multiple insurance policies that were issued under different laws and provisions. Benefits are determined by the policy and it's status at the time of death. Contact your County Veterans Service Office for detailed information and to apply for these benefits.
More information...

Dependents Educational Assistance: available to children & spouse who died as a result of a service connected disability or who was permanently disability from a service connected disability at the time of death.
More information...

Other Information:
Survivor Benefits
VA Pension Programs

Return to top

Obtain Veterans Preference Points for Employment?

Since the time of the Civil War, veterans of the Armed Forces have been given some degree of preference in the appointments to Federal Jobs. 5 Preference points can be added to the passing examination score of a veteran who has served on active duty for at least 180 days and have an honorable discharge. A 10 point preference can be added to the passing score of a veteran who has a service connected disability rated by the VA and is in receipt of compensation for the disability. There are additional provisions for unmarried spouses or mothers of deceased veterans or veterans that are totally & permanently disabled. Preference points are not applicable for Guard & Reserve members who perform Active Duty for Training.

Read about the Minnesota Veteran Preference Act

Return to top

Know what Education Benefits are Available?

There are multiple higher education programs that are in effect for active duty, reserve duty, discharged veteran, and disabled veterans and their dependents or dependents of deceased veterans. Some are programs were contributory in nature, which means that you paid into a fund. Each program has specific active duty dates, enrollment periods, entitlement dates and expiration dates.

For more detailed information refer to the GI Bill website and the Minnesota State Education Benefits website.

Return to top

How do I obtain replacement medals?

Requests for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the specific branch of the military in which the veteran served. However, for Air Force (including Army Air Corps) and Army personnel, the National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals. Please include a copy of your DD214 or military discharge papers with your written request for service medals, decorations and awards to the appropriate branch of service.

More information...

Return to top

Veterans Service Contact:

Sherburne County Govt Center
ATTN: Veterans Service
13880 Business Center Dr NW
Suite 100
Elk River, MN 55330-4668

Office Location & Hours

Phone: 763-765-3100
Fax: 763-765-3124
Contact Sherburne County with your questions, comments and feedback

Have a question?  Email us!

    Outreach Satellite Offices:
    by appointment only
  • Wednesdays, 9:00am-1:00pm
    Public Safety Building
    27650 5th St W
    Zimmerman, MN 55398

  • Wednesdays, 12:30pm-3:30pm
    Sherburne History Center
    10775 27th Ave SE
    Becker, MN 55308