Real Estate

There are two real estate recording systems in Minnesota - Abstract and Torrens. There are different requirements for recording the documents in each system. "Recording" means the documents are reproduced and returned to the presenter. "Filing" means to keep the original document. Real estate documents are recorded. The document type (deed, mortgage, release, certificate) determines what the requirements are and what steps need to be taken.

In the public interest we refrain from giving legal advice and preparing documents. For your protection we observe this policy always. We strongly urge you to consult with your real estate attorney if you require this service. See Minnesota Statutes Section 481.02

Steps involved in the recording process:

  1. Review the document for completeness and ensure that it meets the requirements according to Minnesota Statute.
  2. Determine if the correct fees have been submitted.
  3. Assign the document a sequential number and stamp with the recording date and time
  4. Index according to legal description
  5. Index by Grantor/Grantee & over 20 other fields
  6. Verify indexing
  7. Scan the document and quality check the optical image.
  8. Prepare a receipt and return to the presenter.

Most Common Reasons Real Estate Documents are Returned Without Recording

  • Notary acknowledgment is not complete.
  • Well information is missing from a transferring document.
  • The draftsman statement is missing.
  • The legal description is not consistent or is questionable when compared to records.
  • The recording fee included is incorrect.
  • Delinquent real estate taxes due.
  • Missing Certificate of Real Estate Value (CRV) or CRV is not complete.
  • Incorrect mortgage registration tax.
  • Incorrect deed tax.
  • Name and address of where to mail future tax statements.

Recorder Contact:

Sherburne County Govt Center
ATTN: Recorder
13880 Business Center Dr NW
Suite 100
Elk River, MN 55330-4668

Office Location & Hours

Phone: 763-765-4420
Fax: 763-765-3271
Contact Sherburne County with your questions, comments and feedback