Military Discharge Records

Discharge papers are considered private data pursuant to Minnesota Statute 196.08. You will need to fill out a form showing tangible interest before a copy of the military discharge can be released.

After an individual separates from military service, they receive a DD 214 (military separation form.) The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form to ensure easy availability of a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed. Upon recording of Discharge Paper the office will furnish free certified copies to filer.

As a courtesy to military personnel, the Recorder does not charge for the recording of the DD 214 forms. If you have lost or misplaced your military separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your DD 214 form in our office, you need to contact your local branch of the Veteran's Administration for assistance. Our office only has records of DD 214 forms that have been submitted to us for recording by the veterans themselves.

Related Information:

Recorder Contact:

Sherburne County Govt Center
ATTN: Recorder
13880 Business Center Dr NW
Suite 100
Elk River, MN 55330-4668

Office Location & Hours

Phone: 763-765-4420
Fax: 763-765-3271
Contact Sherburne County with your questions, comments and feedback