Transportation - Permits

Access Permits

All parcels of property are entitled to access, however an Access Permit is required and Sherburne County determines the location and size of the access that will be permitted. Shared access while not ideal is often a requirement, while requests for a "second access" to a county highway are not permitted. In some instances, you may need to remove an access to obtain another.

The cost of the Access Permit is $100 for a residential or agricultural access and $500 for a commercial, industrial, plat driveway or a public road. A Performance Bond Fee in the amount of $250 is required for residential and agricultural accesses; and $1000 for all other accesses.

If a culvert is necessary, you must purchase a corrugated metal pipe culvert with 6:1 safety aprons with safety grates for residential, agricultural, commercial, industrial, and plat driveway accesses. A reinforced concrete pipe culvert with aprons and trash guards, if necessary, are required for public roads. Size will be determined by the permit agent. Driveway access slopes need to be 6:1. The total length of the culvert (including apron lengths) is determined by:

  • (Approved access width) + 2(ditch depth x 6)

The construction of the access and the installation of the culvert are the responsibility of the applicant and must meet our standards. Pre and post inspections are mandatory. If the work, including restoration (70% minimum turf re-establishment) meets our standards, the Performance Bond Fee will be returned.

If you plan to have mail delivered to this location an approved County mailbox support is required for $160 each. Once you have the location determined with the mail carrier, Sherburne County will arrange Gopher One requirements and install the mailbox support in our right of way.

Commercial, industrial, plat driveway, and public roads may require traffic control signs. These signs are $225 and installed by Sherburne County.

Contact us at 763-765-3354 to make a site meeting appointment.

For information on access questions for parcels located on township roads the local township is the regulatory authority.

Right-of-Way Work Permit

A Right of Way Work Permit is required anytime work is performed in the right-of-way. This would include commercial utilities, agricultural utilities, or residential utilities. This may also include tree trimmers or other maintenance crews that need to use the county right of way. Traffic control devices according to the most recent MN MUTCD or the MNDOT Temporary Traffic Control Layout Field Guide are required. Although a permit is required for any work; the permit fee, determined by the permit agent, may be waived if the work benefits the county right of way. Any utilities placed in the county right of way must be registered with Gopher One and will need to be located every time notification is received.

The cost of a one time right of way work permit is $100 (per county road) with a Performance Bond Fee of $500 or a $500 Letter of Credit. For large utility companies that require multiple permits an Annual $5000 Letter of Credit/Permit Bond is preferred by Sherburne County. Pre and post inspections are mandatory. If the work, including erosion repairs and restoration (70% minimum turf reestablishment) meets our standards, the Performance Bond Fee will be returned.

Right-of-Way Work Permit PDF
*Please print permit as a one page document - front & back

Moving Permits

Moving permits are required to move anything on the County Highway system that measures greater than 8.5 feet wide or 13.5 feet high or 40 foot single truck length or 75 foot semi / trailer combination.

There are two types of moving permits; moving buildings and moving equipment, materials, and mobile homes.

The cost of a one-time moving permit is $50, and a yearly permit is $200, for each type of permit. We need a copy of your current comprehensive, general, and liability insurance policy certificate with coverage of not less that $1,000,000. For a yearly permit we require a company equipment list with truck and trailer unit numbers, registered weight for each and vehicle license numbers. Contact us at 763-765-3354 to obtain an Annual Moving Permit.

We do not permit overweight loads on County Roads & CSAH's.

Please provide a minimum of 24 hours notice to process a permit.

Please review the current road restrictions :

One time single trip moving permits (Please print permits as one page documents - front & back)
Public Works Contact:

Sherburne County Govt Center
ATTN: Public Works
13880 Business Center Dr NW
Suite 100
Elk River, MN 55330-4668

Office Location & Hours

Phone: 763-765-3300
Fax: 763-765-3301
Contact Sherburne County with your questions, comments and feedback