Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get dimensions of my land?

If your land has been platted you can go to the Sherburne County Records department and see the dimensions on the recorded plat. If your land is metes and bounds your tax legal description gives you your dimensions and you may have to contact a private surveyor to help get acreage or square feet.

You can also look up your parcel on Some tax legal descriptions are displayed here. There is also a measuring tool in the interactive map that will give you rough dimensions. This tool is not intended for legal purposes and are only estimated measurements.

Return to top

Where can I get a drawing of my land?

Public works has parcel mapping for the whole county. Some areas are in draft form. Half section maps can be requested by phone 763-765-3300, by walking in or by filling out the form on this website. All parcels are also mapped on You can print your own map from this site. The public works department also does custom mapping for 25 dollars an hour plus a printing fee dependant upon the size of the map.

Return to top

Where can I get a picture of my property?

The public works department does custom mapping for 25 dollars an hour plus a printing fee dependant upon the size of the map. You may also get a picture of your land on the website

Return to top

What should I do if I see a road sign down?

If it is a County Highway please call Public Works at 763-765-3300. If it is on a township or city road please call the appropriate city or township.

Return to top

What should I do about dead animals in the road?

If it is on a County Highway, please call Public Works at 763-765-3300. If it is on a township or city road please call the appropriate city or township.

Return to top

What is my Property Identification Number?

The property identification number is used to track a parcel in the tax database. You property Identification number can be obtained by looking up your parcel on or by calling the County Recorder's Department at 1-800-719-2826.

Return to top

How do I find a private surveyor?

Look in the yellow pages under Surveyors or call the Minnesota Society of Surveyors Referrals at 1-800-890-LAND.

Return to top

What is GIS?

GIS stands for Geographic Information System. Sherburne County uses this system as a mapping, planning and analysis tool. Basically it takes layers of data and overlays it on top of other layers of data. The parcel lines on top of air photos for example. GIS can also be used to quickly find a parcel or address. An example of what GIS can do can be seen on Sherburne County's interactive mapping page located at

Return to top

Why can't I put snow on the road?

The Sherburne County Highway Department would like to remind everyone, and especially commercial snow removal operators, that it is against the law to deposit snow, in any fashion, onto a public highway or street. Minnesota state law prohibits the plowing, blowing, shoveling or otherwise placing of snow from sidewalks, driveways and parking lots onto public roadways. This can include the ditch and right-of-way area in certain situations.

Violations are a misdemeanor, but civil penalties can apply if the placement of the snow creates a hazard such as a slippery area or frozen bump which contributes to a motor vehicle or pedestrian accident. The civil liability can extend to both the property owner and the person or company who placed the snow. Other hazards created by improper placement of snow on or near a public roadway include drifting, sight obstructions, drainage problems, and safe accessibility. Special attention should be made to keep crosswalks, intersections, entrances and exits clean and unobstructed.

Return to top

What types of maps are available?

Various maps are available to the public some are available at no charge and others have a cost associated with them. The maps available range in size from 8 x 11 to 36 x 50. These maps can be countywide or by township and may depict zoning, ownership, roads, and administrative features. The free maps can be downloaded as an Adobe Acrobat PDF file from Sherburne County Maps.

Custom maps can be produced from any of the datasets that Sherburne County maintains. For more information on what we can do and what they will cost contact for more information.

Return to top

How do I get a map?

Free maps are available online at Sherburne County Maps. Additional maps are available from the Sherburne County Public Works Department for a fee that is determined by the size of the map. Any questions about what maps can be purchased can be sent to

Return to top

How much do the maps cost?

The cost of the maps that Sherburne County creates can vary depending on the size. Custom maps that require staff time to create are charged at a $45/hour ($45.00 minimum) rate plus the cost of the map at the size needed. The costs for the various sizes are as follows.

  • 8 x 11 - $2.50
  • 11 x 17 - $5.00

Sizes larger than 11 x 17 are based upon a rate of $4.00/sq ft.

Return to top

Public Works Contact:

Sherburne County Govt Center
ATTN: Public Works
13880 Business Center Dr NW
Suite 100
Elk River, MN 55330-4668

Office Location & Hours

Phone: 763-765-3300
Fax: 763-765-3301
Contact Sherburne County with your questions, comments and feedback