Healthy Children - Breastfeeding
"Human milk is the preferred feeding for all infants, including
premature and sick newborns...It is recommended that breastfeeding
continue for at least the first 12 months, and thereafter as long
as mutually desired." -The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
Breastfeeding is one of the most important things you can do to
give your baby the best start in life. The World Health Organization (WHO)
recommends breastfeeding for at least two years.
Health Benefits for Babies
- Breastmilk is made by the human body to feed human babies. It
is the perfect food for babies.
- More easily digested than any formula. It provides complete
and superior nutrition.
- No preparation or clean up needed. No need to prepare, warm, or
- Promotes bonding between mother and baby.
- Satisfies baby's emotional needs.
- Less diaper rash.
- Fewer food allergies and eczema.
- Antibodies pass from mother to baby, providing protection
against respiratory illness, diarrhea, and ear infections.
- Additional protection against SIDS.
Health Benefits for Mothers
- Easier and less time consuming.
- Helps you feel close to your baby and learn your baby's signals.
- Milk production burns calories, helping in weight loss after
- Helps your uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size much faster.
- It's free!
- Women who breastfeed reduce their chances of pre-menopausal
breast cancer, cervical cancer, and osteoporosis.
- Builds self-esteem and self-reliance.
Breastfeeding is a special gift that only you can give to your baby.