"Human milk is the preferred feeding for all infants, including premature and sick newborns...It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least the first 12 months, and thereafter as long as mutually desired." -The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
Breastfeeding is one of the most important things you can do to give your baby the best start in life. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends breastfeeding for at least two years.
Health Benefits for Babies
- Breastmilk is made by the human body to feed human babies. It is the perfect food for babies.
- More easily digested than any formula. It provides complete and superior nutrition.
- No preparation or clean up needed. No need to prepare, warm, or transport bottles.
- Promotes bonding between mother and baby.
- Satisfies baby's emotional needs.
- Less diaper rash.
- Fewer food allergies and eczema.
- Antibodies pass from mother to baby, providing protection against respiratory illness, diarrhea, and ear infections.
- Additional protection against SIDS.
Health Benefits for Mothers
- Easier and less time consuming.
- Helps you feel close to your baby and learn your baby's signals.
- Milk production burns calories, helping in weight loss after pregnancy.
- Helps your uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size much faster.
- It's free!
- Women who breastfeed reduce their chances of pre-menopausal breast cancer, cervical cancer, and osteoporosis.
- Builds self-esteem and self-reliance.
Breastfeeding is a special gift that only you can give to your baby.