Civil Division

Our duties to the county include:

  • Representing the County in any action the County is named
  • Providing legal advice to the County board and its representatives
  • Attending County meetings at the request of the County representatives.

Some other areas that we are involved in:

  • Children in need of protection
  • Zoning issues
  • Solid waste issues
  • Election Questions
  • Property tax appeals
Legal Assistance

As the County Attorney's Office is legally proscribed from providing legal advice to our citizens, you may wish to contact:

  • MSBA Attorney Referral 1-800-292-4152
  • Legal Aid 1-800-622-7773
  • MN Courts (statewide) Self Help Center 651-259-3888
  • Tenth Judicial District Self Help Center 763-279-4325

Civil Division FAQ's:

Can the County Attorney's Office represent me?

No. The County Attorney's Office is limited by law to representing the County.

I want to know more about child support. Who do I call or contact?

Contact your caseworker from the County assigned.

General information is available on the MNDHS website

My plat or RLS needs signing. What do I do?

Contact the County Attorney's Office:

  • You will need for the plat a title opinion or policy issued within 30 days of the day you present the plat for signature.
  • If you are platting land that is Torrens, bring a copy of the Torren's title.
  • You will need to bring all original consents, satisfactions or affidavits of identification requested to ensure lands can be dedicated for public use. The CAO will be the second to last signature on the plat. The last signature will be the Recorder/Registrar of Title.
There is a fee for the review of the plat (set by the county board). A developer's agreement may be required depending on the conditions of the plat.

Where Can I get help with filling out court forms?

MN Judicial Branch Self Help Centers

I have a problem with my landlord. Where can I get information?

There is information available about the landlord tenant relationship through the Minnesota Attorney General's Office

Attorney Contact:

Sherburne County Govt Center
ATTN: County Attorney
13880 Business Center Dr NW
Suite 100
Elk River, MN 55330-4668

Office Location & Hours

Phone: 763-765-4725
Fax: 763-765-4747
Contact Sherburne County with your questions, comments and feedback